Monday, June 26, 2017

Celebration Strategies and Saying Thank You


Jeff Bazos is a business titan who took the initiative to implement the retailing book business into a new dimension using Internet and world wide web. This description is just enough for an IT person to guess, who I'm talking about.



Yes, it's non other than the popular e-tailing or electronic retailing website Amazon.com 's Jeff Bazos. Amazon was a simple garage startup at the beginning, which later turned into the largest bookstore in the world. And now their line of business, not only in books, but also exploded into more other innovative areas.

Well this post is not directly about Bazos or his Amazon. There are lot of stuff in the Internet sphere to learn about them. Here I'm going to mention about a wonderful concept about increasing motivation in a work space, specifically in a such kind of service based working environment where workforce is directly interact with the customers.

Now don't get mad for going around so many tracks, talking about something and switch suddenly onto another topic. You'll later realize how each are conceptually interconnected.



This must be the 2nd batch I'm teaching the subject e-business, and both the two times I used to sit with the students to watch a documentary on BBC about Amazon which was aired in 2014. "Business Boomers - Amazon's Retail Revolution". [Edit: This post initially started on sometime ago]



So the last time when I watched it with the students, I caught up with this strategy, an Amazon's earliest employee was talked about. A bell, which rings when each time a sell is occurred. And he says it was later turned off due to continuous ringing which becomes a nuisance to everyone.

It was only few months before to that I had watched this movie called "The Intern". It was talking about an intern who joins with a online retailing organization founded by a young hard-working lady, a caring wife, a mother and a boss. And this intern, the subject topic, is not a person as you usually think; a youthful character. It was a senior citizen internship program. Crazy idea, ha? He is a senior citizen, a retired old fellow who worked in the same building, in a company located in the same premises long time back, with a traditional ordinary occupation. Couldn't imagine what would the mood will be when you see the same old places which you had spent most of your life with, that can be loaded up with full of memories. But now, everything got changed. The people, building and even the atmosphere. Like in twenty years ago.



Anyway now in this movie, it uses the same bell strategy to announce an achievement. I think it's a sweet idea to collaboratively celebrate an achievement with others, rather than using personal emails or meetings which is too much isolated and being robotic. This way is instant and much humane and much fun and much celebration. If MasteringX would ever grow virtually or physically in small-scale, I'd love to adapt this strategy.



So now on I will call this as bell strategy. I think this kind of a celebration is much important to improve the working engagement motivation.

Upto now I have Stack Exchanges for English, Mathematics and Programming.  So happy to see how community supports to find answers for your problems just to receive virtual badges and stuff.

It is the same concept you see in stack overflow. The motivation to; ask questions, answer questions, comment on questions, rate questions, rate answers and thumbs up comments; with the sole purpose of earning points and badges.






I remember when I first received a notification mail from my slideshare account, congratulating me that one of my slide was shared (selfie effect literature review) for the first time, saying now I'm now in the league. It wowed me for all through the day. That was a celebration. Maybe it was not a big deal. But receiving such a thing without an expectation is shocking wow. And that's the social media strategy to make engage more. If I be more precise, "make you addictive". Slideshare every doc you created which could publicize.

The growth of my MasteringX. The happiness is seeing the increasing number of views with the revenue in each month.

And same goes if you are a YouTube creator. You should be really careful about the views, number of thumb ups-downs and analytics. That's the motivation factor. The next video depends on that. May be your income depends on that. With my current experience (without SEO) it's so fun to see that you got more views and more thumb-ups month after month even they are not in kilos.

Reason (a) : The thought of people had searched for that subject topic and you had hit the venue somehow.
Reason (b) : The thought of people really cared to say thank you and spent a one click for you.



It would become more awesome when you got complements as comments. Comments are specially important when your channel is about academics. I meant a real thank yous, suggestions and even criticisms. The thought of people had spent some keystrokes specifically for you. And I now know why Prof. Randy Pausch had spoked about thank you notes. Even though he was talked about hand written thank you words, unexpected digital ones seems fine for me if the words comes through their inner soul. You can recognize that when you read it (So don't copy!!!!).  I still remember the very first real thank you comment I received for my e-business lecture video in MasteringX portal and how it wowed me all through the day. And yes, obviously, thank you's received as emails from students from your offline classes and the feeling of 'you did something'. Not only that, feel so much awesomely happy when seeing the number of thumb ups and views and comments for my precious video clip "Harsha Bogle in luck" which I extracted from the speech he delivered at IIM. I shared it because I found something on his words, and seeing that others also found something on it and benefitted themselves of my sharing, gives you an amazing celebration.



With final remarks my advice is, incorporate celebration strategies on whatever you do, and say unexpectedly thank you. These things allows others to celebrate. An intentional click or intentional keystrokes may means a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment