Saturday, May 16, 2015

Front Line Messages

When I was a kid, after coming home from the Montessori or the primary school;that I couldn't exactly remember; I used to listen to a program on the radio aired in some Sinhala SLBC channel called "Ranabimen Niwahanata" and "Nivahanen Ranabimata" (රණබිමෙන් නිවහනට නිවහනින් රණබිමට). Which means "From battlefield to home" and "From home to battlefield". Actually I didn't followed the program, that station was worked 24/7 hours at our home when I was a kid (regime of CBK) even no one was there to listen; that I don't know why :D

In the Niwahanen Ranabimata නිවහනින් රණබිමට segment, the announcer aunty;don't know her name, I guess she is still there at SLBC; read the messages of war hero families sent to their beloved who is battling at the field. And the Ranabimen Niwahanata රණබිමෙන් නිවහනට segment, someone at the battlefield; with disturbed noisy transmission; read the messages of the heroes in the battlefield that need to sent for their beloved families. Even though there was no one to send me a message or that I could send a message, I used to listen to that program. Actually it was there so that I heard it. 

I was really very wondered in those days while listening to this program, why on earth they didn't directly send those messages to their beloveds rather than making it to tell publicly to everyone. You know, these messages were not only best wishes or good lucks. Really really homey stuff. So.... it took me donkey's years to understand why they couldn't do it. Actually after watching the movie Border (1997)


Remember, in those days there were no mobile phones, no internet, no communication centers, having a land phone was even not affordable for middle income society. So for a letter, it will take good many days or months to send or receive to and from the front line battlefield. So this program was a collaboration between the army post and the SLBC to bridge the gap and make families more nearer. 

It is not good to peep into other people stuff. But I can remember, I really liked to listen to those messages and tried to get that feeling at their homes. (Like as it mentions in the "Wav bandi Rajje Sawaariyak" වැව් බැඳි රාජ්ජේ සවාරියක් book.) Actually all I wanted was, to grab the positions of their names. I could remember most of the positions of those messages are address to and from the positions of "Samanya Sebala" සාමන්‍ය සෙබළ. With that position, both the announcers she and he in the two ends read a number. May be the numbers that soldiers held in their necks. I really liked the rhythm both the announcers had, when telling the whole thing. And yeah, there were corporals and lance corporals too if could remember. So... now I know they are the lower ranks and you can realize the whole scenario with the support of the following extract.

අසූව දශකකයේ අග භාගයේදී යාපනය කල්මුණේ තුඩුවට පහළින් පිහිටි  කෝමාරි තුඩුවේ වේග ප්‍රහාරක යාත්‍රාවක සේවයේ යෙදී සිටි අවධියේ. මම එතකොට ප්‍රහාරක යාත්‍රාවක අණදෙන නිලධාරියා. ඔතැන නාන ළිඳක් තිබුණා. අපි නෑවේ කාල සටහනකට අනුව. මුලින්ම නාන්නේ ඉහළ නිලධාරීන්, ඊට පස්සේ සැරයන්වරුන්. ඊටත් පස්සේ සෙසු නිලධාරීන්. අන්තිමට නාන්නේ කනිෂ්ඨ නිලධාරීන්. දවසක් ඔය ළිඳට නාන්න යද්දි මම දැක්කා කාල සටහනට පහළ අඟුරු කෑල්ලකින් මෙන්න මෙහෙම කවියක් ලියලා තියෙනවා. 


උඩ වතුර තරු වලට

මැද වතුර පටි වලට

මඩ වතුර පොඩි අපට

කොටි ගහල මදි තොපිට


මේක දැකල අනිත් උසස් නිලධාරීන්ට නම් තරහත් යන්න ඇති. නමුත් මට නම් හිනා ගියා. මට හිතුණේ මේ කවිය මොන තරම් නිර්මාණශීලී ද කියලා. පසුව මම ඒක කොළයක ලියා ගත්තා. මෙවැනි බොහෝ හැඟීම් දනවන කවි තැන් තැන්වල බංකර බිත්තිවල දකින්නට තිබුණා. ඒවා හරිම ලස්සනයි.

බොහොමයක් පිටපත්කර ගත්ත ද පසුව ඇති යූදමය වාතාවරණය සමඟ ඒවා සුරක්ෂිතව තබා ගැනීමට නොහැකි වුණා. ඒ දවස්වල අපට ජංගම දුරකථන, ඩිජිටල් කැමරා තිබුණේ නැහැ. එවැනි දියුණු තාක්ෂණික උපකරණ එදා තිබුණා නම් මෙවැනි බොහෝ කවි නිර්මාණ දැකගන්නට ඉඩ ලැබෙන්නට තිබුණා.

මේ දේවල් සොල්දාදුවෝ නිර්මාණය කළ කවි. සොල්දාදුවන්ගේ නිර්මාණශීලිත්වය පෙන්වන්නට කදිම නිදසුන්. ඒ වගේමයි අලංකාර චිත්‍ර පවා දක්නට තිබුණා. නමුත් අපිට ඒවා සුරැකීමට තාක්ෂණය තිබුණේ නැහැ. එසේ වූවා නම් යුද සාහිත්‍යයේ නිර්මාණ එළි දකින්නට ඉඩ තිබුණා.
නාවික හමුදාපති වයිස් අද්මිරාල් සෝමතිලක දිසානායක -

Even though this program bridge the gap, the families nor our heroes know whether their beloveds had heard the message. There is no way to confirm it. Maybe sometimes their dearest is at the front line duty and not free to listen to it or sadly already died at the field. I remember there were phrases similar to asking his friends who are listening, to give him the message in Niwahanen Ranabimata නිවහනින් රණබිමට segment, or saying that his friend had gave the message in Ranabimen Niwahanata රණබිමෙන් නිවහනට segment.

So now, before the ending of the post, I should mention what is the cause of this post. It is Harshana's next song I'm going to give you. I do not know whether the heroes who send and receive messages through that program, or the names I heard are still live up to today. It's almost more than 20 years back and there were so much battles during these years. I loosed focus of this program there after I went to upper school I guess. Because the program was over when I came home from school or they might have found a better way to have that communication effectively; I do not know. Anyway this song bring back me all that childhood memories of those days with රණබිමෙන් නිවහනට නිවහනින් රණබිමට after so many years. So that's what I'm gonna share with you.

තාත්ත රට රැක ගන්නට ගිය හැටි
තෑගිත් අරගෙන ළඟදිම එන හැටි
ආච්චි කිව් විදියට ලිව්වා
මගෙ රචනෙයි පළවෙනි අම්මේ

තාත්තගේ පින්තූරෙට අම්මේ
ඇයි වතුසුදු මල් මාලය දැම්මේ
තාත්තගේ සුවඳයි මල් සුවඳයි
මට දැන් ටික ටික පැටලෙන ගානයි

දැනගන්නට මං කරන හපන්කම්
තාත්තටත් රචනය පෙන්වන්නම්
කඳුළු බින්දු අම්මේ ඇයි මෙතරම්
තාත්ත මගෙ ළඟදී එනවානම්






Lyrics : Admiral Somathilaka Dissanayaka
Music : Lakshman Wijesekara
Singer : Childish voice of Harshana Dissanayaka


No comments:

Post a Comment